Here’s a list of Case Interview Questions that I’ve received as a candidate. Keep in mind the interview format (especially for McKinsey) has evolved since the time I went through it as a candidate.
- How much time does it take to relocated an average size mountain 10 miles using an average size dump truck? – McKinsey Case
- Your client is a $300 million a year copper mining company. This year it has lost $50 million. How do you turn it around? – Oliver Wyman Case
- How many gallons of gasoline does an average gas station in America sell on an average day? – Oliver Wyman Case
- Your client is a ski resort. Global warming has made it such that natural snowfall has been reduced by 50%. They client is concerned. What should they do and why? – McKinsey Case
- Your client is a gas station and the market is so competitive that they make no money on gasoline sales. All the profit is in convenience store sales. What is the profit maximizing way to layout the convenience store and why? – McKinsey Case
- Your client is Motorola. The year is 1980. They just invented the cellular phone 3 years ago. They want you to estimate the market demand for cell phones over the next 30 years and tell them if there is a market for this invention (and prove it) – Bain Case
- Volvo claims it is the safest car in the world because fewer people die in a Volvo than in a car made by any other manufacturer in the world. What’s wrong with this conclusion? – McKinsey Case
- Your nephew runs a lemonade stand. Yesterday was Monday and he was open from 2pm – 5pm, and sold 2 cups. What should he do differently tomorrow? – McKinsey Case
While many of the sample case questions are from the McKinsey interview, the are equally applicable for a bcg interview or bain interview. In prior years, the interview format across the top 3 firms were much more similar. These days, the various firms have diverged somewhat.
Bain is using some written cases (instead of purely verbal ones) in some countries in later rounds.
BCG has recently been experimenting with an assessment test as a pre-1st round step.
Most other firms continue to use the traditional open-ended candidate led case interview format.
You might also want to look at this case interview sample.