Living Life on Your Edge

You can live a safe, predictable life, or you can live a wild, chaotic, unpredictable life. The former provides you with a sense of safety, and the latter a sense of excitement.

Living your life on the line that separates these two extremes is what I call "living life on your edge."

One secret for living life on your edge is to do something in your life that scares or intimidates you.

It's a wonderful way to grow and challenge yourself.

When I was 20 years old, I was intimidated by the consulting industry and the case interview -- BUT I did do it anyway. (I'm so glad that I did!)

This month I joined the Girl Scouts and volunteered to be a meeting leader for my youngest daughter's troop (the parents take turns leading each meeting).

I am TERRIFIED -- but I'm doing it anyway.

I'm sure I will figure it out, as I usually do (though not always within the time frame I prefer). But, not knowing in advance what I will do or how I will figure it out makes me nervous.

(I ended up reaching out to my network and they've been very helpful.)

Here's my question of the day:

What are you vigorously pursuing in your life that intimidates you?

Share your thoughts with me below.

Additional Resources

If you found this article useful and want to receive more articles like it, sign up to receive approximately two articles each week by email. Just fill out the form below:

First Name *
Email *

This form collects your name and email so that we can add you to our newsletter list on How to Live and Amazing Life. Check out our privacy policy for details on how we protect and manage your submitted data! www.caseinterview.com/privacy.

mail
Facebooklinkedin
96 comments… add one
  • Dhruv Jan 26, 2016, 11:15 pm

I joined an 8-week improv course. I was really intimated for the first two classes with the thought that I might say something that might be not funny or off-putting. I’m more on the introvert side and that thought was quite disturbing. But it turned out I wasn’t quite bad and I learnt quite a few things. Just, after the second class, I’m excited for the third one!

• Victor Cheng May 18, 2016, 9:38 pm

Dhruv,

I had a similar experience with impov. Enjoy!

-Victor

• Digby Jan 26, 2016, 3:39 pm

1. Becoming a life coach and public speaking
    2. Breaking the Million $ line in 12 months

• Manuel Jan 26, 2016, 8:07 am

Hi Victor,

Thank you for your work, I find it very inspiring.

To answer the question, what I am currently persueing that scares me is to become a Professor at a Belgium University. I just sent the cover letter. I have been once an assistant lecturer, but I did it in Portugal, the country where I am from. 6 years have passed, and now I am living in Belgium, so the situation is quite different. I feel thrilled, but also frightened.

Let me thank you once again for your time and concern. I regularly follow you via your emails.

Manuel

• Amit Jan 25, 2016, 11:00 pm

Hi Victor, I have been working in the academia ever since I graduated and it scares me to go out and work in an industry setting as I am not sure if I can cope up with the culture change. Any thoughts? Thanks

• Victor Cheng Feb 10, 2016, 8:01 pm

Amit,

I think your concern is legitimate. you might not be able to cope. But then again, you might. I don’t know the answer and nor do you.

It sounds like your “edge” is in there somewhere.

There’s only one way to find out… to take action.

-Victor

• Karishma Jan 24, 2016, 2:31 pm

I am hoping to complete a triathlon by the end of the year but I’ve injured my lower back and cannot train regularly because of my consulting gig

• Ac Jan 24, 2016, 5:20 am

Job interviews.

• Justina Jan 23, 2016, 3:29 pm

I am writing a master thesis in a form of scientific article, and what intimidates me is a fact that i cant find a common language/enough help from my supervisor.

• Steve Jan 23, 2016, 10:43 am

Victor!

At 47, I am studying for Level 3 of the CFA exam while working FT with two kids. Also active in Boy Scouts and church missions committee.

• Alex Jan 23, 2016, 6:49 am

After getting a job offer from Global Strategy Group KPMG (thanks to your book) I’m waiting for the start of my work and thinking about getting an MBA.

Now I’m vigorously intimidated by the idea of passing GMAT exam, because my analytical skill is not stellar.

• Olatunde Jan 22, 2016, 8:35 pm

June 2016 CFA Level I exam for the first time despite two critical challenges; time and finance.