The Rising Star Consultant

Hi Everyone,

I've been getting a bunch of emails asking me to share some strategies for how to be a successful consultant once you get your job offer.

I'm debating whether or not to put the time into teaching this topic and wanted to get your vote and your feedback.

If this topic IS of interest, just post a comment at the bottom of the article indicating your interest and what question(s) you have about how to become a rising star in your firm.

No need to leave any contact information or anything, at this point I just want to see if there's any general interest.

Additional Resources

If you found this post useful, I suggest becoming a registered member (it's free) to get access to the materials I used to pass 60 out of 61 case interviews, land 7 job offers, and end up working at McKinsey.

Members get access to 6 hours of video tutorials on case interviews, the actual frameworks I used to pass my interviews, and over 500 articles on case interviews.

To get access to these free resources, just fill out the form below:

First Name *
Email *

This form collects your name and email so that we can send you login information for the free materials you requested. If you check the Yes button we also will add you to our email list. Check out our Privacy Policy below for details on how we protect and manage your submitted data.

Read Our Privacy Policy

mail
Facebooklinkedin
221 comments… add one
  • ajay Jan 22, 2011, 5:18 pm

• Kok Wei Jan 22, 2011, 6:38 pm

Yes please, thanks again for your help & advice.

• Kok Wei Jan 22, 2011, 6:41 pm

Yes please, thanks in advance for your help and advice.

• RD Jan 22, 2011, 8:07 pm

Definitely

• John Jan 22, 2011, 10:51 pm

Yes please. I’m still currently preparing for case interviews, but I would definitely want to learn how to thrive in the field of consulting as well when I get there.
    I would probably raise questions such as:
    1) What skills are essential in becoming a successful consultant?
    2) How will I effectively juggle with my role as a consultant and my preparation for an MBA?
    3) What do I need to do to move up to a higher level?
    4) How will I strike a good balance between my personal life and consulting career considering that most consulting firms are known to have grueling work schedule?

• Asel Moldakhmetova Jan 22, 2011, 10:59 pm

Yes, please.

• Fiodor Panfilov Jan 23, 2011, 1:18 am

I’d be interested!

• Ryan Jan 23, 2011, 1:39 am

Yes Please!

• Somya Jan 23, 2011, 4:32 am

• Sho Jan 23, 2011, 5:47 am

Yes I’d be very interested particularly in the following topics:

1. Differentiate yourself from other intelligent co-workers

2. Ways to effectively pull out information needed from the clients

3. How did you spend your weekends or off-days?

Thanks!

• Eddy Jan 23, 2011, 7:42 am

Yes would be interested;

In particular;
    1.Time / work load management
    2.Connecting with clients quickly

• Adam Jan 23, 2011, 7:42 am

• Michael Jan 23, 2011, 9:44 am

• Yu Jan 23, 2011, 9:55 am

topics of interest:

A. travelling is physically exhausting. but top performance is always required! how to manage?

B. in this financial services company, one becomes partner after 6-8 years. the criteria are: maturity, business case, soft skills. business case = having a growing, new market which a new partner is going to be focusing on. just interested in your thoughts on the career progression.

C. female consultants networking with clients – should be also go for drinks in “male-focused” bars such as striptease bars or how else to still “stay” on the team?

• GK Jan 23, 2011, 10:26 am

a BIG yes! thank you very much.

• KJ Jan 23, 2011, 11:03 am

• DJCurrySpice Jan 23, 2011, 11:31 am

Yes, please! I would be really interested in the following:

1) With the 5-7 months I still have before I start my career, what sorts of things should I be doing to better prepare? Should I take a class in MS Excel? Are their things I should be reading? Should I keep doing case practice?

2) Once I start – what are the top 5 things I need to make sure I do within the first month (usually this is training and related things, so I will be at the home office a lot more than once I start the 3-4-5)? Considering that relationships and networking are important, especially early on, how do I go about it during that time I am not traveling?

3) Once I start traveling – how should I organize my life? What are your tips / best practices to keep an organized and sane balance between work and home life? How do you make sure you are succeeding without hurting other parts of your life (i.e. health, relationships with others, family time, other intellectual pursuits, etc)?

4) What are the unwritten rules of an engagement? How do you not just succeed in your project – but how do you make sure you don’t accidentally do something inappropriate (both analytically and socially) without knowing it?

5) How do you network outside of work if other opportunities present themselves? How do you handle a situation where you get an opportunity to interview with a different consulting firm, an investment bank, or a private equity group?

6) Finally – because I am starting pre-B-shool, I wanted to know about how to leverage my experiences the best way I can to get admitted to a top business school (Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Northwestern, etc)? What do I need to be doing from day 1 to make it to Harvard Business School at the end of my 2-3 years?

• BS Jan 23, 2011, 1:16 pm

Yes please!!

• Harinath Jan 23, 2011, 3:00 pm

Hi victor,
    I am also of opinion that this need not be a tele seminar. It could be again one of your usual video or a podcast.

I would like to hear about –
    A. Organizing for results
    B. Time management
    C. Habits (dos n donts)

Tks

• twk Jan 23, 2011, 3:28 pm

yes please!

perhaps it might be helpful to separate the two mailing lists as well- for those who have received offers, and those who are applying for the next season.

thanks!

• Mohammed Naqvi Jan 23, 2011, 4:47 pm

Yes, please! Thanks Victor.

A few questions:

1. How do you impress a Partner?

2. How do you distinguish yourself from your peers?

3. How do you assert yourself and opinions, against others (both external and internal) that seem to know better (because of more experience)?

Thanks again.

• dn Jan 23, 2011, 8:13 pm

Yep

• Ahmed Jan 23, 2011, 9:21 pm

Sure Victor. It will be a great idea.

Please consider:

1) common mistakes to avoid
    2) what Not to do
    3) how to deal with customers….and different kinds of customers
    4) what Not to do with customers
    5) when to leave, and where, and how, and WHY?

Best,
    A

• J Jan 23, 2011, 10:24 pm

It will be great if you can do a session on this.

My particular interest has been expressed by most above is ,

1. How should we make ourselves standout among other peers?

2. You mentioned a lot about client friendliness, what can we do to make clients trust and listen to us?

Thanks,
    J

• Pete Jan 23, 2011, 10:49 pm

I will be very very interested and would like to know how to start my career as a consultant and how to succeed in the long run.

Cheers

• Randeep Khaund Jan 23, 2011, 11:17 pm

Absolutely Yes!

• SF Jan 23, 2011, 11:17 pm

Yes please! I’d be interested to here tips of what are the important skills that we can work on developing before we start. Any books you’d suggest we read? I’d also be interested in hearing common mistakes consultants make.

• Victor Jan 24, 2011, 12:07 am

Absolutely! Thanks for your continued interest in our success.

• JB Jan 24, 2011, 2:26 am

YYYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!

• Mar Jan 24, 2011, 12:11 pm

Very much..
    Thanks for everything..

• Jay Jan 24, 2011, 12:17 pm

Victor,

This is an excellent idea and please conduct the seminar. I would also appreciate if you could speak a little bit about what to expect when hired as an experienced professional.

• Dave Jan 24, 2011, 1:00 pm

This is an excellent idea. Any opportunity for Victor to share his insights will be great.
    Here are some suggested topics:
    1. How to “manage up”
    How do you foster relationships with your manager in order to help you succeed and progress to the next level?

2. How to make the client’s success your success
    How do you make sure that a satisfied client reports success to your firm so that you receive some of the credit?

3. How to deal with a difficult client/client situation
    Not all projects work out well. Some clients are difficult; some assignments don’t result in the achieved objective. How do you make sure that this doesn’t become a problem for your advancement?

4. How to help sell work
    An important goal is selling more work. How can a consultant at every level (starting consultant, 2 years experience, manager etc.) help sell projects and get credit for it?

• Andre Lugo Jan 24, 2011, 2:52 pm

Yes, I think this would be a great move to assist new consultants coming into the professional ranks of a client driven organization. Some things of interest I think you may want to address are:

1. The mechanics of doing work such as the parts of the engagement (i.e. taking the books “The McKinsey Way/The Mckinsey Mind/The Mckinsey Engagement and demonstrating how that is applied on a daily basis). How does one do the research and then put that information into the “Deck” slides.

2. Addressing the ways in which new associates effectively interact with partners (mentor relationships) and engagement managers (getting good evaluations) to ensure they’re meeting the expectations. Understanding the politics of the office without coming accross as self absorbed.

3. Practical advice on how to travel (behavior when on the road) for site visits (how to coordinate visits and interactions) and conducting client interviews (effective questioning techniques and follow up).

These are just a few suggestions that I think would help new consultants develop good skills when navigating the process of ‘onboarding’ inside a new firm.

• Aimran Amir Jan 24, 2011, 4:34 pm

Yes please.

Thank you.

• Alex Jan 24, 2011, 5:54 pm

Yes, it would be a great event. My question would be around soft skills essential to becoming a successful consultant.

• Nag Jan 24, 2011, 8:21 pm

Oh Yeah. Big time. that will be great 🙂

• Frederique Jan 24, 2011, 10:37 pm

Definetly! Here are some questions:
    – What are the different types of assignments done by a consulting firm and is there a typical structure to ¨solve these problems¨?
    – How do you manage expectations as a new analyst?
    – How do you handle your work-life balance (lack of sleep, long hours, stress, etc)?

• Sayan Jan 25, 2011, 12:19 am

100 percent Yes!

Questions I’m interested in:

How to make an impression on people (managers and clients)?
    How to portray yourself as professional?
    What small everyday things can I do to impress others?

• BCG to-be Jan 25, 2011, 1:45 am

yes please!
    – networking/interacting with higher ups (esp partners)
    – the dumbest common mistakes in etiquette/common sense/professionalism (ie avoidable)

• Amit Jan 25, 2011, 2:02 am

Yes please.

• TT Jan 25, 2011, 6:44 am

Hello Victor

1. I’m very interested in the web seminar.
    2. Topics of interest: which are the most common errors commited by experienced hires? What are the expectations of the firm when hiring experienced people (5+ yr experience in the industry)? How to adapt best the working skills and habits from the previous experience into strategy consulting enagements?

• Jake Jan 25, 2011, 1:37 pm

I believe this would be extremely beneficial for me. I just received my offer from Accenture and will not begin until late March. There is a lot of time from now until then and wouldn’t want to waste it all.

My questions: How important is networking and finding a career counselor? and how soon should one do that?
    Where can I find material on communication skills? Making sure my emails, presentations, etc. be up to par?

Thanks again!

• Jake Jan 25, 2011, 1:38 pm

Where can I find material on communication skills? Making sure my emails, presentations, memos, etc. are up to par?

Thanks again!

• Timmy Jan 25, 2011, 4:10 pm

Yes, specifically:

1) insight beyond the standard/cliche advice one hears
    2) soft skills which you needed/developed to succeed
    3) how to set yourself apart at an entry level when you are often being judged more on your mastery of the core consulting skills, rather than making huge quantifiable results in a project

• Charlene Jan 25, 2011, 5:05 pm

I’m definitely interested!

• Tony Jan 25, 2011, 6:38 pm

Yes please.

Thank you.

• Tony Jan 25, 2011, 6:38 pm

Yes, I’m definitely interested too.

Thank you.

• AR Jan 25, 2011, 7:22 pm

@nick: Yes, I would be interested. Specifically knowing things about working with team dynamics, how to stand out, and exit strategies (towards business school, PE, VC)
    thanks!

• ag Jan 26, 2011, 2:40 am

Yes, I would be interested. Though I am not yet a consultant, would be one soon.

• JH Jan 26, 2011, 8:02 pm

Yes, I am definitely interested! Please keep me in the loop. Thanks!

• gljirain Jan 26, 2011, 8:03 pm

Even as I am not going to work in consulting after graduation, I think the topic would be useful, especially considering you are going to share the 1%…

Xie xie, Victor

• Rock Jan 26, 2011, 11:51 pm

yes, definitely needed. please keep me in the loop.

I have two questions:

1 What kind of skills or mindset should new hires have ?

2 Pls recommend us some book you think helpful

• Cem Jan 27, 2011, 3:48 am

Definitely interested ! I believe all the information that potentially could be provided to us would help us a lot during our first couple of years.

• Vik Mar 2, 2011, 8:20 am

Yep, that would be great!

• Puneet Mar 20, 2011, 7:08 pm

Yes please!

• Pattie Jun 2, 2011, 11:37 am

Yes please!

• João Guarisse Sep 2, 2011, 9:49 am

Yes, plz!

• Abhishek Aug 9, 2012, 1:36 pm

Certainly! Would love to hear something about this having recently obtained a job offer from an MBB firm.

• John C Mar 26, 2013, 11:34 pm

The question is, now what? Great topic

• mark colella Oct 27, 2016, 1:50 pm