Rising Star Agenda

Hi Everyone,

After sifting through the many questions people had about how to succeed as a new consultant, I've narrowed down the list of topics to the following:

• How to Strategically Choose Which Projects to Work On
  • How to Establish a "Trusted Advisor" Relationship with a Client
  • How to Differentiate Yourself from Other Very Smart & Hard Working Colleagues
  • Which Books to Read Before Your Start Date, So You Can Hit the Ground Running
  • How to Communicate with and "Manage Up" to Partners & Project Managers
  • How to Manage Your Time to Do the Things That Differentiate You, While Still Getting Your Work Done
  • The Best Way to Networking Inside Your Firm and Build Your Personal Brand
  • The 7 Most Common Mistakes New Consultants Make
  • How to Communicate Your Point of View, When You're the  "New Guy/Gal"

Please feel free to comment below on what you think of this agenda and if you want to suggest any changes.

Additional Resources

If you found this post useful, I suggest becoming a registered member (it's free) to get access to the materials I used to pass 60 out of 61 case interviews, land 7 job offers, and end up working at McKinsey.

Members get access to 6 hours of video tutorials on case interviews, the actual frameworks I used to pass my interviews, and over 500 articles on case interviews.

To get access to these free resources, just fill out the form below:

First Name *
Email *

This form collects your name and email so that we can send you login information for the free materials you requested. If you check the Yes button we also will add you to our email list. Check out our Privacy Policy below for details on how we protect and manage your submitted data.

Read Our Privacy Policy

mail
Facebooklinkedin
42 comments… add one
  • Pete Jan 30, 2011, 1:24 am

This is a great idea.
    I am looking forward to learning more about this subject.

• sophie Jan 29, 2011, 10:45 am

great!!!!!!!!!

• KP Jan 29, 2011, 1:38 am

This might have been mentioned already, but to enhance the doubt:
    How to COOPERATE well on a team while COMPETING well as an individual for that limited 10% or 5% “ask to stay”…you know, a little touchy issues like whether to share certain info or not…

• Zahoor Jan 29, 2011, 1:20 am

Hi Victor,

The list looks good. In addition to the aspects listed above, I would like to suggest the following:-

1. How to deal with irrational and uncooperative clients when seeking data, buy-in or implementation of certain initiatives

2. What are the varying degree of skills required based on the type of case (segmented by function) – strategy, operations and organizational transformation are three most common functional cases that consultants typically work on – For e.g. In a strategy engagement, greater emphasis is on XYZ skills (quantify if possible) vs. In an operations engagement it is ABC skills

Thanks,

• Cem Jan 28, 2011, 6:35 pm

Looks great, can’t wait to read your posts ! Thank you very much again for all your guidance

• EF Jan 28, 2011, 12:25 am

Hi Victor,

The list look great!

Someone once suggested to me that I should become the encyclopedia of the firm that I work for. For instance, I should know at least the major studies/engagements my firm has done, major leaders in the firm, the past good and bad major events in the firm, etc. In your opinion, what would be the best ways to do this research?

Thanks,

• Serhiy Jan 27, 2011, 5:47 pm

1. How to ensure that you get usefull feedback – from clients, peers, bosses
    2. How to structure projects that proper balance of client engagement / support is achieved
    3. Managing client expectations in a way, that you are able to exceed them.
    4. How to lower client expectations in non-offensive way, when expectations are unreasonable.
    5. Managing client relationship

• Julian Jan 27, 2011, 4:20 pm

It sounds really good. I’m looking forward to it!

• Greatlist Jan 27, 2011, 4:01 pm

Great list!

What about networking within the firm, but abroad?

• Neha N Jan 27, 2011, 1:56 pm

Hi Victor,

The list looks good. Other valuable additions could be:

– Must-know stat and excel tools
    – How to sell your skills to the client – Some of the firms have the culture of letting the client interview the candidate, what is the right way to go about it.
    – How to make a good first impression on your team?

Your articles have been of immense help. I look forward to this one, since I just joined and these pointers would be of great help.